The Consoling Virgin of the Afflicted (or Virgin and Child) dates from 1624 and was initially kept on the glacis outside the city fortification ramparts by Father Brocquart of the Jesuit college.
Very quickly, his invocation won growing success and an annual pilgrimage was organized, which continues to this day during the period of the Octave.
The Virgin Consoling the Afflicted became the patroness of the city of Luxembourg from 1666 and the protector of the country from 1678. She can be admired in what had been the former Jesuit church since 1794, which became Notre-Dame Cathedral in 1870. .
Its image as well as its message of comfort and hope represent, in the eyes of a large part of the Luxembourg population, one of the components of national feeling and collective consciousness.