The Black Madonna and Child in the Church of Saint Jean du Grund is considered one of the most beautiful black Madonnas in the Gothic style in Europe. The original from the 14th century measures 1.20 m and was made of wood in the Cologne region. Its style is clearly influenced by the works of the sculptors Heinrich Parler and his son Peter (1330-1399) who revolutionized Gothic art.
Originally kept in a Franciscan monastery, which was located on the current Place Guillaume in Luxembourg, it was hidden for several years in order to avoid its destruction by the French revolutionaries. It was in 1805 that it definitely found its place in a chapel of the Church of Saint Jean du Grund.